Monday, December 7, 2009

Kid's Chores

I have thought long and hard about how to begin official chores for Bear.  He is 4 now. I realize lots of people start earlier (or later), but I think I finally found what will work for us.  I saw this idea a long time ago and it has stuck in my head ever since.  Make a card for each chore.  You can use clipart and insert a picture and then label it, free hand a drawing or simply use the name of the chore.  I am going to take a picture of him doing the chore and then label it.  After the cards are made punch a hole in the top.  Hang them in a row in a spot where you and the child can see them throughout the day.  Make a tack strip or use the Command Hooks (this is what I will do).  As each chore is complete, the child gets to turn the card over.  You can flip them all back over before the next morning.
Here Bear is doing one of his chores.


It will take some time up front to get it together. I have a list of chores I think will work.  I will just have him do them all and follow with the camera.  He might enjoy the newness, so I can get some smiles! 
Here are the cards I plan to make:
Morning
Brush teeth, hair
Make bed
Get Dressed
Vitamins
Pick up toys
Sweep kitchen
Great attitude
Read Bible

Evening
Clear table
Brush teeth, hair
Bath
Pick up toys
Great attitude

I wanted to start with some stuff we already do and will add more as necessary.  You can also make up extra cards for chores you want to throw in that will not be for every day.

There are charts galore online, too.  These can be a great, tool, as well. 

Now, how long 'til he can cook and do dishes?? :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment